Wednesday, November 12, 2014

What I read in October!

So I surprised myself by reading 5 books last month!  WOOO.  I love reading so much, but it is hard to carve some time to really get into a book.  Once I am invested, it is no problem.  However, I usually feel like I need 50 pages to decided if this is going to be good book or a struggle (I hardly ever NOT finish a book.  Even when I absolutely despise it.  I should change that habit).

Here is what I read in October:

1. The Last Anniversary.  This book is by the same author of My Husband's Secret and Big Little Lies, both of which I quite enjoyed.  This is an earlier book of hers and it is just not that good.  I am happy that this author continued to write and find success (a great lesson here- keep on swimming) but you could skip this one!

2. The Silkworm .  This is the second book of this series, the first being Cuckoo's Calling.  This is the same author of the Harry Potter books but she writes under a pseudonym for these.  It does take some time to connect to these books.  They take place in London and it is sometimes hard to understand some of the English slang, but once you are in it becomes a fast read and you are left wondering what happens until the last pages.

3. What Remains: A Memoir of Fate, Friendship, and Love.  Because I love trashy TV, I thought it would be only right to read this memoir from a Real Housewife of New York, Carole Radziwill.  The author's husband is dying of cancer very quickly after they marry.  Their best friends John F. Kennedy Jr and his wife Carolyn Bissett die in a plane crash 3 weeks before the death of Carole's husband.  It is depressing, yet optimistic and illustrates the value of friendship!

4. Accidents of Marriage .  This is also a pretty easy read, about a marriage and specifically an angry husband.  The husband and wife get into a car accident that almost erases the wife's memory and forces her to rebuild her speech and motor skills.  I gave this book 3 stars.  Interesting enough but not going to blow your socks off!


5. Brain on Fire.  This one was the biggest surprise for me! This is a memoir about a woman who develops what initially is a medical mystery.  She was violent, had major outbursts, labeled psychotic and strapped down to a hospital bed.  However with her family's incredible diligence to their daughter and some luck to connect with the right doctors, she is able to find the correct diagnosis and heal.  I read this book in two days and LOVED it!!

Any great books you have read lately?  I love recommendations!!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by! I'm so appreciative of your comments, questions and stories!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...