Sunday, October 18, 2009

It is so Hot!!

I got off birth control in March after a 10 year long stint. What can I say? I just loved those little pills. Ryan and I thought that we would get off the pill, have a little sex, and inevitably have a child.

Not quite. I don't want this to sound worse than it actually was because I know several people who have struggled to get pregnant or are in the middle of this endeavor right now. I would never want to make light of their journeys.

I get off the pill and wait for my period. April rolls around and still no period. By the time the calendar turns to June I finally make an appointment with the doctor. My doctor confirms that I was not ovulating. She prescribes Provera to induce my period and sends me to a RE (reproductive endocrinologist).

The Provera doesn't work- I maybe have one day of very light spotting but never a full blown period. Meanwhile I have the appointment with the RE. This doctor was so calm and relaxed about our situation. He reassured us that we were young, healthy, and definitely at the bottom of the hill in terms of fertility. He gave us some Clomid and sent us on our way.

The Clomid is a little complicated because you take it for 5 days, then wait until you are ovulating (via a not so cheap ovulation kit) and once the ovulation test is positive, you have sex like you are drunk 18 year olds (this part is not complicated).

I took my first Clomid pill and headed off for an early morning to babysit for my friend's little guy. I had not babysat in about 10 years, so I was feeling a little nervous about my rusty skills. A few hours in I was really beginning to sweat. I thought this active perspiration must be due to my inability to change a little boy's diaper without having him pee all over himself (yes, this occurred). But later in the day these hot flashes reappeared, literally forcing me put my head in the freezer. I felt like a 50 year old woman in menopause.

When I got home I looked at that bottle of Clomid and realized that hot flashes were one of the side affects. Along with bloating, weight gain, mood swings, nausea, headaches, and breast tenderness. FUN.

We were very lucky because it only took one round of Clomid for us to hit the jackpot. And so the baby bump begins....

5 comments:

  1. having sex like 18 year olds, huh? woo hoo

    ReplyDelete
  2. And now you know why I keep a hand held fan at my desk during my "fertile" periods. You feel so hot that you can't even think about anything besides how hot you feel. Yucky. But SO worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Am I bad friend/aunt if everytime I picture you literally sticking your head in the freezer I chuckle a little?

    ReplyDelete
  4. And so it begins...yay for clomid...yay for hot flashes. Not really on the flashiness...but I'll be here to laugh about it with you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. PS....and YAY for the blog. I love it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by! I'm so appreciative of your comments, questions and stories!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...